It’s time to complete what we started in 2016 when we launched the Pride in Our Past,
Building Our Future Capital Campaign. Our goal then was to improve our facilities to better serve our students – and that goal remains. The purpose of this letter is to update everyone on where we
stand and to define our next steps in completing the projects included in Phase 1 of our master plan.
Thanks to the generosity of the extended Regina family, our campaign total stands at $4.8 million, with these projects completed:
- Expanded and resurfaced the front parking lot and resurfaced the front circle drive
- Replaced the leaking high school gymnasium roof
- Constructed the new First Avenue entrance/exit drive
- Renovated the 60-year-old boys and girls locker rooms
- Replaced the antiquated bell and intercom system
- Rerouted storm water retention (required by the city)
- Built and furnished the Regina Athletic Training Facility (while the training facility was not part of the initial Phase 1 projects, it was moved ahead of schedule when a donor generously offered to support its construction)
In January 2019, we conducted an assessment to lay the foundation for continuing the campaign. The results provided us with insight about the remaining projects and how best to move the campaign forward. Through the assessment, we learned:
- There is overwhelming support to complete the two remaining campaign projects – building a new Education Wing and expanding/updating the Early Childhood Center. There will also be improvements to the rear parking area during this process.
- 64% of assessment participants indicated that they will extend their current pledge or make an outright gift to the campaign to complete these two projects.
- Some respondents expressed concern that building the Regina Athletic Training Facility in Phase 1 indicates that Regina places greater importance on athletics over academics.
- Some participants voiced concerns about cost overruns on the completed projects and whether funds will be sufficient to complete the new Education Wing and Early Childhood Center projects.
- Finally, participants asked for more clarification about the completed projects and a vision to complete the Phase 1 projects. The response to that call for more communication begins now.
The intention was to complete the projects as specified in the master plan. Sometimes, however, an opportunity presents itself, which means temporarily changing course. Regina’s leadership evaluated the opportunity, in the form of a generous offer to fund a significant portion of the Regina Athletic Training Facility, and determined that it was in the school’s best interest to accept the donation and rearrange the timing of the projects. Our school is grounded in the pursuit of an excellent faith-based education for our students, while ensuring they have opportunities for activities outside the classroom. Superior academics and quality extra-curricular activities make a powerful combination in a school – and that is what we seek to provide at Regina.
Please review the Regina Athletic Training Facility construction document that is linked HERE. This summary details why the decision to build this facility was made, and how that decision will benefit Regina long-term.
At its April board meeting, Regina’s leadership re-affirmed its commitment to complete the Education Wing and Early Childhood Center projects. The fundraising projections from the assessment, along with several new and very substantial financial pledges (more information about this exciting development coming in July), suggest that this is an achievable goal. We have also retained the Steier Group, who conducted the assessment and coordinated the previous portion of the campaign, to assist with the campaign continuation.
THE NEXT STEPS ARE:
- Reconvene campaign leadership in May to prepare for a July campaign relaunch
- Recruit additional campaign volunteers in June to assist with fundraising efforts
- Begin approaching donors in July about continuing their support
- Publicly kick off the campaign continuation in August
- Host “town hall” meetings in September to share campaign progress and provide updates about the master plan.
Based on current pledges and cash on hand it is anticipated we will start the Education Wing this fall. We currently are in the final phases of construction planning and will be sharing our projected project timeline once the details are finalized.
We are excited about the future of the Regina Catholic Education Center. Our pursuit of excellence for our school and its students has never been stronger. Will you please join us on this quest?